I present to you my folded garlic bread. Who said you have to go to the bakery all the time to get your favorite bread? I genuinely believe that some of the most delicious Bread products are made right in the comfort of your kitchen.
I infused it with garlic and parsley making it so yummy and irresistible. The aroma of this folded garlic bread infused in your home is something out of this world.
A must have Folded Garlic Bread Recipe!!
If you love garlic and herbs, then you will love this bread recipe. Try this Folded Garlic Bread at home because it is so easy to make. My family loves to eat this folded garlic bread with my broccoli apple salad.
Since I found out the health benefits of garlic, I use it a lot in my day-to-day cooking. Gone are the days when I used to buy garlic, and it would just spoil in my pantry.
Garlic is healthy for you
Did you know that garlic treats colds and coughs and reduces hypertension? Furthermore, garlic improves heart health, digestion and even regulates blood sugar levels. How cool is that?
If you are looking for more ways, you can incorporate garlic in your day-to-day life check this garlic parsley butter.
Making Yeast dough for Folded Garlic Bread
I start by mixing my dough in a stand mixer. I do this by adding the water, yeast, and sugar in my mixing bowl and allowing the yeast to activate for 5 minutes.
You will know your yeast is active if you see bubbles on top of the liquid. If your mixture doesn’t form bubbles, it means that your yeast is dead. In that case, you will have to pour it, buy fresh yeast and start afresh.
After that, I add my salt and all-purpose flour and mix. I knead my dough for about 7 minutes in the machine and around 12 minutes if kneading by hand.
I then go ahead to proofing my dough. Now, this is a yeast dough, and when proofed, it doubles or at times even triples in size. Just make sure that the container you are using is big enough otherwise, you will end up with a mess.
Preparing Garlic Butter
While the dough is proofing, I prepare my garlic butter by adding butter, garlic, parsley and sea salt in a food processor. I pulse till I reach my desired consistency.
You can equally do this by hand. Just mince the garlic finely and chop the parsley finely. Now add soft butter in a bowl and whisk lightly. Add the herbs and sea salt, and you are good to go!
The Yeast Dough and Garlic Butter meet
Once my dough proofs, I put it on my clean kitchen counter and deflate it. I then roll it out into a rectangle and smear it with my garlic butter. Depending on the baking tin I am using, I then cut it in strips and then fold them in an accordion shape. I do this for all my dough and place them vertically in my baking tin, cover and allow them to proof for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Finally, I bake my folded garlic bread in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 25 to 30 Minutes.
This folded garlic bread is perfect for the grilling session. Make some and take to any gathering and the garlic and herb explosion in the mouth will make everybody ask you for the recipe. It is that good.
- I used white all-purpose white flour for this folded garlic bread but, you can equally use whole wheat flour to enhance its nutritional value.
- Substitute spring onion for red onion.
- I find that wearing disposable kitchen hand gloves make it easier to knead any dough. In fact, every time you are working on a sticky dough by hand, wear disposable kitchen hand glove, and you will see how easy it is.
Folded Garlic Bread
- 600 g Flour
- 300 ml Warm water
- 2 teaspoons Instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt (for the dough)
- 120 g Butter
- 2 Garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 Spring onion finely chopped (substitute with 1/2 red onion)
- 1/2 bunch Parsley leaves finely chopped (substitute with coriander)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt (for garlic butter)
- In a small bowl, add the room temperature butter and whisk lightly with a fork or whisk.
- Once you whisk the butter, add the garlic, parsley, onion and the 1/2 teaspoon salt to the butter and mix very well. Cover and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the water, sugar, 1 1/2 tsp and yeast and then mix properly. Allow the yeast to activate for 5 minutes before adding salt and mixing well.
- Add the flour and using a wooden spoon, mix the water and flour mixture till dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 12 minutes.
- If kneading in a stand mixer, knead for about 7 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with cling wrap. Go ahead and put it in a warm place and let the dough rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, divide it in two and roll each dough into a rectangle.
- Rub the surface of the rolled out dough with the previously made garlic butter.
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife cut the dough in strips of about 5 cm width and then go ahead and fold the dough to look like an accordion.
- Place the accordion-like-dough next to each other in a greased baking pan leaving a little space between them because the dough will still expand.
- Cover the baking pan with a cling wrap and rest for about 30 minutes to 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C and bake the garlic bread for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the baking tin.
- Allow your folded garlic bread to cool furthermore on a cooling wire rack for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy.
What do you think about this Folded Garlic Bread recipe? Leave me a comment and some STAR ratings. I would love to hear from you 🙂
If you love this recipe, you might also like my African Meat Pies recipe.