African Potato Stew (Potato hot Pot)
This classic African potato stew, otherwise known as potato hot-pot, is the ultimate comfort food. It doesn’t take much time to make and I promise it’s well worth the effort.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 kg skinless chicken or legs or whole chopped chicken
- 2 kg Irish potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green beans washed and chopped
- 1 paprika washed and chopped
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp green seasoning paste or garlic-ginger paste
- 4 large tomatoes washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 seasoning cube
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups water
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for about 3 minutes till nicely browned.
To that, add green seasoning paste and sauté till fragrant; about 1 minute.
At this point, add salt, seasoning cube, pepper and sauté for 30 seconds.
Follow by adding the tomatoes and fry the tomatoes till well broken down and cooked.
Add chicken and stir till well coated with the tomato sauce. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and cook the chicken for 5 minutes without adding water. The chicken will produce some of its juices, so don't worry.
After 5 minutes, add water, habanero pepper, and the potatoes and mix well. Cover the pot and simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
Lastly, add carrots, paprika, and green beans. Mix gently, adjust seasoning if necessary and simmer once more with a covered lid for 5 minutes.