I realized that I haven’t yet shared a basic coconut red beans curry recipe here and it seemed like the perfect easy, budget-friendly, not-weird meal to break up the comfort food monotony. This healthy but comforting dish is inspired by Indian cuisine and easily pairs with any accompaniments you prefer.
Don’t you just hate it when people stir together beans, coconut milk, and curry powder and offer that as curry? We are not making our coconut red beans curry like that today. We are building together several layers of seasoned flavor that will not leave you disappointed. Not to worry – this recipe is very easy to make, just follow the instructions and you will be good to go.
Healthy Coconut Red Beans Curry
Tomatoes are a crucial part of the sweet, tangy, and savory background notes for the red beans here, so please don’t leave them out – if you do, your coconut red beans curry will taste a little blah. Fresh tomatoes are the best to use but, canned tomatoes are perfectly fine in this recipe.
This recipe is quite fast and easy to make on the stovetop; therefore, you don’t need a pressure cooker or slow cooker. This is because we are goint to use canned red beans in this recipe.
Coconut red beans curry is very common in African cuisine as well as in many other parts of the world. Beans are not only cheap, but they are readily available too. They are also an ideal meat substitute for vegans. They are rich in protein, potassium, iron, magnesium and dietary fiber.
Coconut Red Beans Kidney ideal as a quick, healthy meal
Making kidney beans curry from scratch is fantastic, and I suggest you do so if you have the time. But when looking for that quick solution, this is the recipe you need. As a working mum, this is my go-to recipe when I cannot make it from scratch. This kidney beans curry recipe cuts down my cooking time by more than 1 hour, but it is equally delicious and nutritious.
This kidney beans curry is cooked in a simple onion, garlic and tomato sauce. I season it with coriander, paprika and a dash of chili pepper for a slight kick. Then, I crown it with the creaminess of coconut milk, making it perfect on a bed of rice.
If you love a good home cooked meal but don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen, then, this coconut red beans curry recipe is for you. This recipe gives a quick fix because it requires canned beans. What are you waiting for? Try it today. It is perfect for under 30-minute meal
Drain the kidney beans for a less soupy curry.
Coconut Red Beans Curry Recipe
- 5 cans kidney beans (drained)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 2 medium onions (finely chopped)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp bouillon powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Place a large saucepan, on medium heat. Add the oil and onion and fry till lightly brown.
- Follow by adding the garlic and bay leaf and continue cooking for 30 seconds.
- Add curry powder, black pepper, chili powder, paprika powder, salt and bouillon powder and cook for a few seconds.
- At this point, add the tomatoes and stir well. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover the pot and simmer for about 6 minutes till the tomatoes are well cooked. Don’t forget to stir occasionally.
- Bring the heat to medium and add the coconut milk and the kidney beans. Stir well.
- Once the pot comes to a boil, turn the heat to low and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Throw in the coriander leaves, adjust the seasoning to your taste and stir.
What do you think about this vegan Curry recipe? Have you tried it out? Meet me in the comment section below and share your thoughts. I would love to hear from you.
If you love this recipe, you might also like my Mung Beans Curry Recipe.