This chicken fajita pasta is a dish of sautéed chicken, bell peppers and pasta cooked in a creamy cheesy sauce. An easy dinner option that’s ready in 25 minutes and a total crowd pleaser!
If you love chicken Fajita, you’ll adore this simple yet satisfying chicken fajita pasta. A dish like this is not only perfect made from scratch, but can also be made using leftover chicken fajita.
A quick one-pot pasta dish like this chicken fajita pasta always hit the spot, don’t you think? One-pot fajita pasta is a comfort food that’s quick to make with familiar flavors that both kids and adults love.
What Is Chicken Fajita Pasta?
A fajita in Mexican cuisine is any grilled meat that is usually served as a taco on a flour or corn tortilla. In the case of chicken fajita pasta, the chicken and veggies are cooked in one pot with pasta in a creamy cheesy sauce.
Is Chicken Fajita Pasta Good For You?
This Fajita Pasta is packed with nutritious ingredients, lean protein, and lots of fiber. To make this pasta dish even healthier, use whole wheat pasta, low-fat milk and low-fat cheese.
Chicken breast is an excellent source of low-fat protein. Protein helps your body to build and maintain muscle mass. Chicken breast is also a very good source of selenium, phosphorus, vitamin B6, and niacin.
Bell peppers are a rich source of vitamin C, containing 97% of the daily requirement. Most noteworthy are red bell peppers which have more vitamin C content than green or yellow bell peppers.
What Goes In Chicken Fajita Pasta?
- Chicken Breast or Boneless-Skinless Chicken Thighs (Cut into Strips)
- Bell Peppers (Any color of your choice cut into strips)
- White or Red Onion (Cut into thin strips)
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Coriander powder
- Black pepper
- Chili powder OR chili flakes
- Dried parsley
- Mozzarella cheese (OR Parmesan cheese)
- Pasta (Penne or any pasta of your choice)
A full list of the measurements is in the recipe box below.
How Do You Make Chicken Fajita Pasta?
FIRST: Mix all the seasoning in a small bowl. Use half to season the chicken. Keep the other half aside for later.
SECOND: Place the chicken strips in a large bowl and coat thoroughly with the seasoning.
THIRD: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. In that, cook and brown the seasoned chicken till cooked and browned to perfection; about 8 minutes. Drain from the skillet and set aside.
FOURTH: In the same pot, sauté the chopped veggies for about 3 minutes. Season with the rest of the seasoning.
FIFTH: Add milk and pasta and mix everything well. Cook pasta on medium-heat for about 8 to 10 minutes.
SIXTH: Once pasta is cooked, add cooked chicken and mozzarella cheese and mix till well melted; about a minute. Serve hot or warm.
How To Cook Chicken For Chicken Fajita Pasta
The best way to cook chicken for chicken fajita pasta is to first season, and then sear it in oil in a hot pan until browned and cooked through.
Also, it is important to drain it from the pot and add it back when the pasta has fully cooked. This way, the chicken remains soft, tender, and juicy especially if you are using chicken breast.
Be careful not to overcrowd your pan; if you add too much chicken at once, the chicken will steam instead of brown.
Storing and Freezing leftover Chicken Fajita Pasta
To Refrigerate, transfer to an air-tight container and store immediately in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To freeze, transfer to a freezer-suitable air-tight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
I must also mention that it is healthier to use glass containers to store leftovers since they give no residues to food. If using a glass container to freeze leftovers, make sure it is freezer-suitable as other glass containers may crack when frozen.
Place the frozen chicken fajita pasta in the refrigerator the night before you plan to eat it, so it can defrost. Alternatively, leave it on the kitchen countertop till fully thawed.
To Microwave: Transfer the leftover fajita pasta to a microwave safe plate. Sprinkle with a few teaspoons of water and cover with another plate. Warm it in the microwave for 5 minutes and make sure it is piping hot.
To Reheat in Saucepan: Add 1/8 cup of water or milk for each cup of chicken fajita pasta in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. To that, add leftover fajita pasta, stir and cover. Simmer on low heat till piping hot; about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Try this quick one-pot chicken fajita pasta dish for dinner tonight; you’ll certainly be glad you did!
Other Quick Dinner Recipes:
Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 1 pound chicken breast OR skinless-boneless chicken thighs cut into strips
- 3 bell peppers any color of your choice cut into strips
- 1 large red onion peeled and cut into strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp seasoning powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder OR chili flakes
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 4 cups milk full fat or low fat
- 3 cups pasta penne or any of your choice
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese OR Parmesan cheese freshly shredded
- Mix all the seasoning in a small bowl. Use half to season the chicken. Keep the other half aside for later.
- Place the chicken strips in a large bowl and coat thoroughly with the seasoning.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. In that, cook and brown the seasoned chicken till cooked and browned to perfection; about 8 minutes. Drain from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté the chopped veggies for about 3 minutes and season with the rest of the seasoning.
- Add milk, and pasta and mix everything well. Cook pasta for about 8 minutes.
- Once pasta is cooked, add cooked chicken and mozzarella cheese and mix till well melted; about 1 minute. Serve hot or warm.
If you love this fajita pasta recipe, leave me a comment and STAR rating and share your thoughts. I would love to hear from you ?